Dr. Maggio Expresses interest in Becoming next President of NSU

By: Ashley French, KNWD News Reporter

Acting university president Chris Maggio, will apply to become next permeate president of Northwestern State University.

Maggio has 30 years of experience at NSU. He has dedicated his work and leadership potentials to the Dean of Students, the Offices of Admissions, Recruiting, Financial Aid, Student Activities and Organizations, First Year Experience, Leadership Development and many other organizations.

Dean of Students, Frances Conine, believes Dr. Maggio is the perfect fit to become permanent president of the university.

“I don’t know anyone who loves Northwestern more than Dr. Maggio. I don’t know anyone who works harder than him,” Conine said. “I think he has good leadership qualities, as proven leader as vice president he knows what that job description is and knows what it takes to move into that leadership position.”

Students in the Student Government Association who will also take part of the Board of Directors’ Committee to reviews all candidate’s quality, traits, and ideas for the university.
SGA President John Pearce is in full support of Dr. Maggio potentially becoming permanent president.

“I think it would be great if Dr. Maggio became president of the university. He knows how the school and town function together, he has great ideas for the future and he is able to relate to any student he meets,” Pearce said.

“He’s one of the main reasons why I came to NSU, and I think he would do nothing but great things for the school.” He said.

According to http://www.ulsystem.net, the search of a new president goes by a committee called the Board of Supervisors of the University of Louisiana System.

The Board of Directors have a committee on their Board that includes, faculty senate, the Student Government Association and community members.

Members on the committee will be voters and some non-voters, partaking in the selection for a permanent president.

“It’s important through the process to listen to a lot of the open forums, giving the students the opportunity to come listen to these forums to voice their options on the qualities they want to see in a president to represent this university,” said Maggio.

Although student can voice their options and attend open meetings, the votes will come from the committee.

Maggio’s goals and desires for the university is to continue on the valuable traditions in leaderships and academic success Northwestern carries. As one of the applicants, applying to be permanent president of the university; Dr. Maggio will work extremely hard as a candidate to be selected for the job.

“My passion is working with students,” Maggio said. “It keeps me alive and motivated. said Maggio “I’m going to be a good listener and try to learn some new things and at the end of the day I hope to become permanent president for many years to come.”

Maggio expresses his support for whoever may be the next permanent  president of if not selected.

“If I’m not chosen, I will support the new president, whoever he or she is, I’m going to be their right hand, and help them succeed,” he said. “It’s not only about one person, it’s about the university that we all love so much and it’s about this office that is very important.”